Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 2:12:37 — 243.3MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS | More
Playlist (with links):
1. Pointer Sisters – The Number 3 (Sesame Street)
2. LTD – Love To The World (Joey Negro Mizell Magic Mix) (00:32)
3. Jean Carne – Time Waits For No One (Joey Negro Extended Disco Mix) (08:44)
4. Gladys Knight & The Pips – Bourgie Bourgie (Joey Negro Super Bourgeoisie Mix) (14:43)
5. Labelle – Messin’ With My Mind (Edit by Mr. K) (21:23)
6. Mass Production – Welcome To Our World (Joey Negro Funk In The Music Mix) (26:07)
7. BT Express – Peace Pipe (Rare Extended Disco Mix) (33:00)
8. Hi-Tension – Hi-Tension (M+M Mix) (38:32)
9. Lonnie Liston Smith – Space Princess (Joey Negro Space Goddess Mix) (43:29)
10. Loleatta Holloway – Hit n’ Run (Original Walter Gibbons 12″ Mix) (47:41)
11. The Fatback Band – (Are You Ready) Do The Bus Stop (Joey Negro London Bus Stop Mix) (55:45)
12. Cheryl Lynn – You Saved My Day (Joey Negro Tell The World Mx) (1:01:13)
13. Odyssey – Going Back To My Roots (Joey Negro Disco Re-Blend) (1:07:03)
14. Patti Labelle – Music Is My Way Of Life (Joey Negro Funk In The Music Mix) (1:12:18)
15. Willie Hutch – Brothers Gonna Work It Out (Joey Negro Return Of The Mac Mix) (1:18:48)
16. Sylvester – Over & Over (Special Disco Mix) (1:26:07)
17. Francine McGee – Delirium (Original 12″ Version) (1:30:30)
18. War – Flying Machine (The Chase) (1:36:00)
19. Glenn Jones – I Am Somebody (Joey Negro Finnessed Remix) (1:43:11)
20. Evelyn “Champagne” King – I’m In Love (Joey Negro Tribute To Kashif Mix) (1:50:24)
21. Surface – Falling In Love (1:56:28)
22. Bionic Boogie (f. Luther Vandross) – Hot Butterfly (Frico Edit) (2:00:00)
23. Denise Williams – Free (Joey Negro Re-Grooved Mix) (2:05:31)
24. Sesame Street End Theme (2:11:39)
….sooooooo, it’s our THIRD year celebrating the life and legacy of the legendary Patrick Willoughby. Yes, I said LEGENDARY – your favorite DJs came to HIM for their music! It’s his birthday, so – as usual – we’re going to celebrate it by putting some of his favorite songs (as well as a few I wanted to also hear) in a nice, fat mix!
Patrick Willoughby was a highly influential taste maker.... Some may know him, but many of your favorite veteran DJs have encountered him and don’t even know it. Patrick was a major influence for DJs in NYC from the late 70’s all the way through the 90’s. Most known for his amazing work as buyer/manager of Barry’s Records & Tapes, which was located at 119. E. 23rd St. in NYC until it was torn down in 2003 – he also managed other music shops throughout Brooklyn. Patrick lived and breathed music and for these mixes we will explore some of his favorites!
This mix leans HEAVILY on the editing/remix GENIUS of Dave Lee (fka Joey Negro), John Morales, Danny Krivit and others! These iconic curators have made it SO much easier to pull these mixes off! You see – these are the hardest mixes for me to pull off for a couple of reasons. For one thing, I was still a child when these selections first appeared so even though I’m familiar with much of the repertoire – I STILL have so much to learn about what was considered “hot” back then! I spent a lot of time consulting with the folks that came up with Patrick and could tell me firsthand what he liked, what he played, and what was hot in the clubs back then.
The second reason these mixes are typically tricky to pull off is that is produced digitally (most modern electronic music) and with a steady tempo (120bpm typically stays 120bpm throughout song), but it took ungodly amounts of skill as well as thorough knowledge of your records to to do this with these classic selections. A song’s BPM (Beats Per Minute) could – and usually did – fluctuate wildly throughout the song – it could be 120bpms at the beginning of it and end up 124bpms at the end – this makes it very hard to beat match. This means creative ways of mixing these classics together, but as one of Patrick’s friends Stanley told me – it wasn’t necessarily about the continuous mix (which wasn’t that prevalent back then), it was about SELECTION. So that’s what these mixes will concentrate on (of course there’s mixing in here – you know I can’t help myself, LOL).
In this mix, you will hear popular and RARE classics – many of which were ONLY heard in the club. Big thanks to my friends and consultants Stanley, DJ Wesloc, and Mark who are all lifelong friends with Patrick and for whom i’m grateful for their input on these mixes (I literally consult with them every year on it!)! You will hear from Mass Production, Hi-Tension, War, Willie Hutch, and so many more
Enjoy the mix folks and download it at your leisure! Make sure you go to the official Zodiac Thump Music page and click “like” for news, freebies, and the latest from Zodiac Thump Music!
Out now on Traxsource, Beatport, Amazon, Tidal, Spotify, and many other reputable online retailers/streaming services throughout the world!! Click the cover to find your favorite retailer!
and stay tooned!
Listen to The Zodiac Thump, Season 4, Episode 2 on MixCloud:
The OFFICIAL curator for the Zodiac Thump vibe on the turntables as well as in the studio! If you like what you’re hearing (or want to help with the college fund), feel free to
tip the DJ below! 😉
Purchase the latest music from Zodiac Thump Music at the following online retailers: